So, this has become my absolute go-to soup for many reasons. One major reason is that my local grocery store only seems to sell kale in bulk, so I can make about three batches of this soup and still have enough left to stuff a mattress and a pillow set. Another reason is it’s healthy and super delicious! Kale really is the vegetable of the moment, so let’s make some soup with it!
I tweaked this excellent recipe, since I always like to make things my own.
Prep time: depends how fast you cut vegetables. Conservatively, 10 minutes.
Cook time: 10-20 minutes.
Makes: approximately 3-4 servings
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 (32-ounce) box vegetable broth
4 cups packed chopped kale
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup elbow noodles (or slightly less)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1. Cut all the vegetables and chop the garlic. While you’re doing that, boil the cup of noodles about 7-8 minutes until al dente. Put aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
5. Add the broth, can of tomatoes, kale, carrots, and celery and cover. Cook approximately 10 minutes or until kale is tender (I find it takes a little longer than 10 minutes.)
6. Add the noodles, drained beans, and the chili powder. Stir well and serve hot.
Voila! You have a soup. I would recommend adding a little more broth, if you can, since it’s so chock full of vegetable goodness. You can also add or subtract the chili powder, based on your preferences (I would add chili powder to literally everything edible if I could). Enjoy!